4.18.2011

who decides what is best?


I’m not sure if it’s just me – but I honestly get a little worried when I look at lists of Best Books Ever, and I realize I’ve only read… mmm… an unmentionable few of them. I mean really, Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret? No, I have not read that. Nor do I really feel like I really want to. Sorry Judy Blume. 
But really, when I look at Time Magazine’s Top 100 Novels list, and I see only a handful of books that I have actually read, I get a little scared.
I read a lot of great books in high school and in college, but apparently I didn’t get to the “good stuff”. Why is that? Why would I be told to read specific books in my higher education that weren’t considered “the best”?
I guess maybe its all up to personal discretion, because I read a few novels that don’t appear on this list, or really any other lists for that matter, that I really do think should be considered for Top Book Lists.
Like Richard Brautigan.
He is worth so much more appreciation than he has ever really gotten. I mean really? Trout Fishing in America? Watermelon Sugar? Both to die for in my opinion.

Photo Cred: Sarah Hedeen


Or, the book Cruddy by Lynda Barry. It’s an awesome interpretation of an adolescent girl’s life, and it is illustrated (for all you people who don’t like books without pictures). Every time I see this book on my shelf it makes me want to read it. 



So is it just subjective, these silly little lists that people make? Probably.

Anyway, I’m having a read-a-thon with Ender’s Game tonight.
On to reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment