4.19.2011

don't hate the player - hate the game. just not Ender's Game.


I hate to admit it – and I am not sure why – but I may be a little bit of a science fiction nerd. I love to read things that make me imagine worlds that haven’t been thought of before… or creatures I have not envisioned … or ways of life that are foreign and strange. The imagination it takes to write a science fiction novel is awe-inspiring. 

That’s partially why I really liked Ender’s Game.


The book is about a six year old boy named Andrew “Ender” Wiggin, who is born into a family as a Third. In the future, families are only allowed to have two children [Ender's family petitioned to be able to have him, in hopes that he would be good for the Government] – genius children [like Ender and his siblings] are monitored to see if they are capable of saving the earth from buggers [an alien species that has attacked Earth twice before] as soldiers and commanders in an army fleet. Ender is like this super bad ass kid who can Vulcan grip people to death, but he has this outrageously good conscience and truly cares about living creatures. Ender goes to Battle School, and being extremely intelligent and adroit in defense tactics, is quickly promoted to different ranks in school. Many unfair things are done to Ender during the novel– he is pretty much bullied and manipulated from different sources since the first few pages of the book. Ender is never given help – he must fend for himself, and he is pretty much never allowed to be happy. It becomes clear as the story progresses that Ender may be Earth’s only chance at survival from the third attack of the buggers.


So, I just have to say, when Ender is in Battle School, they have to do these mock battle things, with laser guns that will freeze your battle suit if you are shot. Basically I just kept imagining a giant game of Laser Tag… minus gravitational pull. So floaty Lazer Tag.
I also kept thinking: It’s kind of like Harry Potter for space nerds.
Or, chronologically speaking, Harry Potter is an Ender’s Game for wizard nerds [sorta].
But that only lasted while he was in Battle School. Then stuff changed and I was like “Nope, not like Harry anymore.”

Anyway, that was just my thought process as I powered through this book. It wasn’t hard to power through it though – it’s easy to read, and well, it’s pretty hard to put down when you really get into it. Sometimes I was like “Oh look, ANOTHER battle scene. Sweet.” But what do you expect from a book whose plot deals almost exclusively in battle scenes? Even if you don’t like Sci Fi this is a good read. Look into it.

On to reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment