3.30.2011

The List [and ramblings about tea]

Mmm. Tea. Delicious Tea.
Actually, I am just trying to convince myself that the tea I am drinking right now is awesome – because what I really really really want is a good cup of coffee with lots of creamer. I love creamer. Probably more than I love coffee. I woke up this morning and lo and behold, there was no creamer. Silly me for forgetting to pick some up. Plus this tea is decaf… what’s that going to do for me?

Here are the books I have lying around my house right now. Some of these I have been sitting, starring at, thinking “Hey, I spent good money on you books. Why are you just sitting there?” Dust collectors, I guess. But good news, now that I have started this bloggity blog, and have taken this picture, it’s like I have to read them – right? As you can tell [or maybe you can’t, it’s not the best picture… I never said I had an awesome camera folks... there will be better ones, promise.], there is a lot of Richard Brautigan [whom I love], there is a Stephen King book that I was told that I should read [so I bought it for like, a whole two bucks, at a used book store], I’ve got some books that I’ve seen on some of those “You Must Read This Before You Die” lists, and then I just have some books that I flat out want to read. 
Speaking of those Best-Books-Ever-That-You-Have-to-Read-Or-You-Aren’t-Cool lists, I am going to make my own [because, I mean really, if EVERYONE is reading the same books from all the same lists... no one is reading anything really 'new']. Entertainment Weekly in 2008 came out with a list of "New Classics" – or rather – books they view as classics written between 1983-2008. Then there is Modern Library’s list of 100 books that the Board recommends, and 100 books that Readers recommend.
So, lets combine and make my own list of however many. I won’t include books that I have already read [although, I may read them again, just for fun].

The List:
  1. Aldous Huxley, A Brave New World
  2. Arthur Koestler, Darkness at Noon
  3. Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged
  4. Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead
  5. Anne Patchett, Bel Canto
  6. Barbara Kingsolver, The Poisonwood Bible
  7. Charles Bukowski [Anything I can find]
  8. Carson McCullers, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
  9. Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
  10. Chuck Klosterman, Sex, Drugs, And Cocoa Puffs
  11. D.H. Lawrence, Sons and Lovers
  12. Denise Lehane, Mystic River
  13. Dave Eggers, A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius
  14. David Sedaris, Naked
  15. Evelyn Waugh, A Handful of Dust
  16. Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
  17. Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence
  18. E.M. Forster, A Room With a View
  19. F. Scott Fitzgerald, Tender is the Night
  20. Flannery O’Connor, Wise Blood
  21. Frank McCourt, Angela’s Ashes
  22. Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Love in the Time of Cholera
  23. Henry Miller, Tropic of Cancer
  24. John Stewart, America
  25. Joyce Carol Oates, Black Water
  26. John Irving, The World According to Garp
  27. John Irving, A Prayer for Owen Meany
  28. James M. Cain, The Postman Always Rings Twice
  29. Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim
  30. John Steinbeck, The Pearl
  31. James Joyce, Finnegans Wake
  32. Jack Kerouac, On the Road
  33. James Baldwin, Go Tell It on the Mountain
  34. James Joyce, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
  35. James Joyce, Ulysses
  36. Kurt Vonnegut, Slaughter House 5
  37. Ken Kesey, Sometimes a Great Notion
  38. Marjane Satrapi, Persepolis
  39. Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid’s Tale
  40. Mary Karr, The Liars Club
  1. Norman Mailer, The Naked and the Dead
  2. Nevil Shute, A Town Like Alice
  3. Orson Scott Card, Ender’s Game
  4. Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes
  5. Robert Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
  6. Rudyard Kipling, Kim
  7. Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man
  8. Robert Graves, I, Claudius
  9. Richard Brautigan, A Confederate General from Big Sur
  10. Richard Brautigan, The Abortion: An Historical Romance 1966
  11. Richard Brautigan, The Hawkline Monster: A Gothic Western
  12. Richard Brautigan, Revenge of the Lawn
  13. Richard Brautigan, The Pill Versus The Springhill Mine Disaster
  14. Samuel Butler, The Way of All Flesh
  15. Salman Rushdie, Midnight’s Children
  16. Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House
  17. Stephen King, IT
  18. Stephen King, Duma Key
  19. Salman Rushdie, The Satanic Verses
  20. Sandra Cisneros, The House on Mango Street
  21. Theodore Dreiser, An American Tragedy
  22. Toni Morrison, Beloved
  23. Thomas Pynchon, V.
  24. Tim O’Brien, The Things They Carried
  25. Tom Robbins, Another Roadside Attraction
  26. Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita
  27. Virginia Woolf, To the Lighthouse
  28. William Faulkner, The Sound and the Fury
  29. William Faulkner, As I Lay Dying
  30. Willa Cather, Death Comes for the Archbishop
  31. Willa Cather, The Song of the Lark
  32. William Styron, Sophie’s Choice
  33. William Faulkner, Absalom, Absalom!
  34. W. Somerset Maugham, Of Human Bondage
  35. Walker Percy, The Moviegoer
  36. William S. Burroughs, Naked Lunch
  37. William Gibson, Neuromancer

So, on to reading! What to choose… what to choose…

No comments:

Post a Comment