10.18.2011

Top Ten Tuesday: Book Covers

This week's Top Ten Tuesday from The Broke and the Bookish is to choose ten books that I have purchased solely based on their covers.
I really do buy books based on their covers - but most of the time I have to have some inclination (besides really cool artwork) that the book is going to be worth the money. I can't just throw cash down without having some idea that the book will be well worth it... and not just look pretty.

So, I'm sure I could go through my bookshelf and point out specific books that I chose because I liked their covers, but it was probably because I had to choose between two different covers and one appealed to me more. Or, for instance, when I recently bought H.P. Lovecraft's complete works - I could have just bought another version, but the fact that it was so pretty was hard to pass up. But I'd had an idea that I wanted to buy something by Lovecraft before I even saw it.

So, that's why this week's topic would be hard for me to do.
Instead I strolled over to the Book Cover Archive and found quite a few covers that I found extremely visually appealing.



























So, I think it's pretty obvious that I like more modern book covers, I like interesting type fonts. I love weird. I'm a freak for 50's bright, fun advertising - but I love dark, creepy Kafka too.




I think one of the most iconic book covers for me is Beowulf. I could see the tiniest sliver of this book cover and know exactly what it was.







Anyway, I have a lot of great books that I have recently acquired, so next post shall be of those beauties.
Then, I recently finished Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill for 1book140 on Twitter... A spoooookey October read.
And now I am reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which I can't wait to finish so I can tell everyone everything I love about it.

On to reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment